The lunacy all started here. On the night of 31 August, 1939, when Gliwice was still the German town of Gliewitz, a Nazi thug named Alfred Naujocks murdered and scattered an assortment of concentration camp inmates around this radio tower, all dressed in stolen Polish Army uniforms, their faces disfigured to prevent identification. The next morning, Adolf Hitler used this pretext of a Polish attack to justify his invasion of Poland. Millions perished.
The tower is still the largest wooden structure in Europe and visible from miles around.